Thanks to our outstanding photography vendors for their hard work! Check out your photos each week, and please consider supporting their businesses! All of our photographers have connections to the FFCC as former performers, directors, guard parents, or volunteers!
FFCC Spotlight: Katrina Voorhees
By: Rachel Greenwald & Maggie Josephsen
What better way to start off the new season and new year than taking an in-depth look at the people who make all of this possible. FFCC has wonderful staff and vendors that work hard at everything behind the scenes at competitions to make the experience seamless and enjoyable. Let’s take a closer look at one of the people that always has the closest look on every performance, photographer Katrina Voorhees. While not only being a wonderful photographer for FFCC for several years, Katrina Voorhees has also been a dedicated guard mom for even longer. She wanted to share her story of how color guard has affected her life and career.
“In 2010, my oldest daughter decided to join band. This was brand new to me. As always, I was quick to volunteer as much as possible. Since my high school days, I have always enjoyed photography. So, I made it my mission to capture all the wonderful moments of not only my child’s band experiences, but everyone else’s too. I quickly discovered that taking pictures during marching season was something I truly adored! Four years later, my second daughter entered high school and started band as well. She had already done colorguard in middle school for three years, and was overjoyed to do four more years in high school. I was elated to have four more years of pure fun taking pictures of all the students. I started taking pictures at the FFCC events during this time in 2018.”
What secrets could you share about the behind the scenes of working for FFCC?
“One secret I can share about the behind the scenes of FFCC is the staff and students are amazing! I have never worked among such kind and thoughtful people as these. Everyone loves their job, is kind to each other, and appreciative.”
What’s one piece of advice you would give to performers, both new and returning?
“When asked what is one piece of advice I would give to performers, my answer would be to smile. Photographers can’t help but follow performers that show the emotion of their show on their face. Sometimes it may be a fierce look, I love that too! Your time enjoying this wonderful sport flies by quickly, so relax and enjoy every second with a smile on your face.”
Katrina Voorhees is one of many incredible contract photographers who go above and beyond to make the competition season special for every performer and family member. She makes sure that every team has their best performance moments captured to be shared and enjoyed far beyond the competition season.
The FFCC is proud to offer hotel discounts to member teams through our partnership with the Hilton Ocean Walk Resort, Daytona Beach, located directly across the street from our competition venue, the Ocean Center. The ONLY way to get this discount rate is by placing your reservation on the FFCC website through your Team Director.
There are a limited quantity of rooms and are available on a first come first serve basis. Rooms will not be held until payment is received in full. All rooms must be paid in full by January 31, 2020.
There is not a minimum number of nights required by the hotel. Each room is up to quad occupancy. All rooms are non-refundable after January 31, 2020. Rooms may be paid for by check or online with a credit card.
2020 Championships Classes:
- Friday 3/27: B & AAA Colorguard
- Saturday 3/28: Novice, Cadet & AA Colorguard and all Percussion & Winds, as well as Colorguard Solo & Duet Championships
- Sunday 3/29: A, Open & World Colorguard
Please direct all questions regarding hotel reservations to Tom Slaughter at firstname.lastname@example.org
CLICK BELOW TO ACCESS THE FORM (You must be logged in)
We are looking for Marketing Interns to help grow the FFCC this season! In general, we are looking for college-level interns, aged 18 and above, who would like to help build the FFCC’s presence online and in the community. You must be available for training and some pre-season work from home in November & December, but the primary internship responsibilities occur during the season, January through April. While we prefer interns who are not currently affiliated with a team and who are not currently performing, we are willing to discuss your commitments based on your desired role. We do prefer interns with a knowledge of our activity, and especially former performers who would like to give back to the activity.
To apply, please read the descriptions of available positions below, and then fill out the application below no later than Sunday, September 22nd.
All interns will be required to complete a background check via the FFCC staff background check process.
All internships are unpaid, but receive the following benefits:
- Can be for credit if your institution allows. Please provide us with any necessary information as soon as possible.
- Badge for admission to all FFCC 2020 Season shows and championships
- FFCC Staff attire
- Staff meals at all shows to which you are assigned when available
- Mileage reimbursement per the FFCC staff policy
- Lodging at championships if available (championships staffing schedules are determined in February)
Business Development/Fundraising Intern
- Help grow the FFCC! We are looking for go-getters to help engage businesses, individuals, and teams in the FFCC’s scholarship programs and championships program advertising. The right candidate has experience with email, writing, cold-calling, and basic knowledge of approaching businesses for non-profit support. This is a great opportunity for business, marketing, non-profit management, development/fundraising, and sales majors to gain experience and build their resumes.
- Are you a great videographer with stellar editing skills? Help us with montages, advertising, and celebrating the successes and stories of our teams throughout the season! Please be prepared to use your own equipment and editing software. Ability to communicate via email in a timely manner, meet deadlines, and attend some competitions is required. You must have or be able to arrange your own transportation.
Media & Communications Interns
- Help tell the stories of the FFCC throughout the season by helping to facilitate our Snapchat Takeover Program, Featured Performer Program, New FFCC Blog, and more! Exceptional organizational skills are required, along with proficiency in Gmail, Google Forms, Snapchat & other social media platforms, basic graphic editing knowledge, and stellar writing skills. Knowledge of The BAND App is also helpful, but not required. While some attendance at shows may be necessary, these positions do not require weekly attendance during the season, but do require a substantial amount of work during the week throughout the season that can be completed from anywhere.
APPLY HERE: http://bit.ly/FFCCintern