FFCC has updated and opened its registration form for teams wanting to experience the FFCC. Teams that have not paid membership but still want to experience the quality, positive, educational performance opportunities that the FFCC offers can use this FORM for Non-members to select and register for events. Some events have reached capacity and are only available in the “Wait List” status. If your team does not clear the wait list you will not be charged. All fees must be paid before teams will be scheduled. All fees are non-refundable within fourteen days of the event. Don’t wait register today!
Percussion & Winds News
By Alan Smith, FFCC Board of Directors
Welcome to 2017!! Our competitive season begins in a few short weeks. Here are some helpful hints that will hopefully make your first show a little less stressful.
- Rehearse entering and exiting the floor. Many groups come into the Premiere shows not knowing what to do or how to set up their floors or equipment. This will cause a ton of stress and take away from your team’s performance. Check the website and the show host map for directions on how to fold your floor to enter and how to exit once the show is completed. Remember, you have 1:30 from the time you cross the time line until the announcement is made for you to begin your show. World class units have 2:00 for this process. Is the time line horizontal or vertical? What door do we use to exit? The more you practice this in a rehearsal setting, the better your performance day will be.
- Bring more than one medium to play your music. Most people have CDs and MP3 players ready. You never know what could happen. Be extra prepared. Have your music on more than one device.
- If you use a phone to play your music, make sure it is on airplane mode. You do not want someone to call or text during your show. We will hear any message that comes over the phone.
- Remember, if you are using your own device to play music, you must have a staff member at the sound table to push play. Every device is different. We want the people who are familiar with the device to control it.
- Have a designated sound person to stand at the sound table whether you are using your own device or not. Staff members near the table can ask for volume changes during the show. These directions will not be accepted from people in the audience. I watched every show my guards ever did from the sound table just to be there if something was to happen.
- Remember, the chief judge has the final say on the volume of a track. If they ask for the sound to be turned down, it will be turned down. If your track is soft, you may want to record it at a higher level. Also, equalizing your sound track for volume will prevent sudden shifts in the loudness of the track.
- If you are using a CD, you will want to do a sound check to make sure our system can read the CD. There is time to check sound before the show and during breaks. You also want to make sure you label your CD with the guard name and show name. Don’t give the sound person a non-labeled CD. They will not be able to keep up with it. Also, make sure your CD is in a case. There is a chance that your CD could be scratched during the course of a show if it does not have a case or cover. Don’t take that chance!
- Check the website and make sure you fill out your spiel sheet. You control how you are announced and what the name of the show is. You can change this at any time.
- Breathe! The first show is always stressful. The more you are prepared, the easier your day will be. The contest staff is there to help you. Prepare, smile, and breathe…your kids will be great. See you at the sound table.
“Winter is coming…” and it will be here before you know it. Be certain to turn in your rosters by the December 15, 2016 deadline. You can find the Scholastic Eligibility Form under the “Members” tab on the FFCC Homepage. This form is a “fillable PDF”, meaning you will be able to fill in all of the required information and the letter will come to you in an email that only requires a School Principal’s signature. If you have students from different schools performing with a host school in the same school district, you will need to fill out a second form for those students. There is a link to this multiple school form and a guide to filling in the correst information included on the single school form.
Independent Team Rosters need to list all personnel on the team and be signed by the Director of the team, verifying that they are in compliance with FFCC Policies and Procedures. Remember any student from High School programs competing in the FFCC must have the appropriate letters releasing them from their High School program. Details can be found in the FFCC Policy and Procedure Manual, under the “Member Resourses” tab on the FFCC Homepage.
If your Team Roster is not received by the December 15, 2016 deadline, your team will be dropped from all current contests they have entered and lose all seeding priority for the 2017 regular season. Your team will be able to re-register once the roster is received. However, in contests with a wait list, your team might lose the ability to attend shows that are at capacity.
Remember you can update your roster at any time, so it would be better to go ahead and fill it out prior to the deadline and then update it as needed.
The FFCC is enjoying yet another year of growth in the 2017 season. We have added new teams in every division of competition – color guard, percussion, and winds! The greatest percentage of this growth has been in the winds and percussion division with Member Teams joining from Southeast Florida. These groups include some prominent WGI Finalists!
This rapid growth has led to the addition of several NEW events in the Southeast Region to accommodate teams needing to qualify for FFCC Circuit Championships. We now have shows for Winds and Percussion at John I. Leonard HS, Seminole Ridge HS, and Cypress Bay HS. You can find a full list of all of the FFCC events near you HERE –
Good Luck as your respective marching band seasons come to a close and Great Skill in preparation for your upcoming winter seasons!
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to Contact Us!
The FFCC is pleased to announce that our 2017 Championship Page is now live. The link to the championship page can be found on our home page at the bottom or here:
On the 2017 Championship Page, you can find information for Tickets, Merchandise, Logistics, 2017 Solos, and Schedules, as they become available. You can also find information regarding Booking your Hotel for Championships!
***Booking through our new online reservation form is the ONLY way that teams can receive special FFCC discounted rates. Keep in mind that all payments MUST BE RECEIVED by FFCC no later than Sunday, January 31, 2017 to avoid having your reservation cancelled.***
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us!